Registrations can also be done in person. Please call for scheduling and availability or to verify course booking for the calendar below.
The Jefferson Indoor Training Center currently offers two types of classes per week. One class offered is the Concealed Carry/Basic Pistol Class. This class will satisfy all of the instructional requirements for the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit Application. Since this class also includes Basic Pistol instruction designed by the NRA training department, it is a good chance for anyone looking to learn the basics of firearms and firearm safety.
TRAINING CALENDAR (Please note: TAX IS INCLUDED IN PRICING BELOW)
|DAY OF THE WEEK||COURSE||TIME||COST|
|MONDAYS||CCHP Renewal Certification Course||1:30-3:30pm||$93.50|
|WEDNESDAYS||First Time Shooter Course||5:00-7:00pm||$98.95|
|SATURDAYS||CCHP Initial Certification Course||10:00-7:00pm||$164.45|
|CCHP Renewal Certification Course (Bi-Weekly)||10:30-12:30pm||$93.50|
|First Time Shooter Course (Bi-Weekly)||1:30-3:30pm||$98.95|
ADDITIONAL COURSE OPTIONS (Please note: TAX IS INCLUDED IN PRICING BELOW)
|Add Firearm Rental .22LR (ammo included)||(+ $43.95)|
|Add Fingerprinting (2 FBI Fingerprint Cards included)||(+ $38.50)|
|Add Basic Hearing and Eye Protection||(+ $35.09)|
|Add Passport Photos||(+ $27.50)|
|Add a Basic Cleaning Kit||(+ $22.00)|
CCHP Courses satisfy the Louisiana State requirements for receiving/renewing a valid permit that is close to expiration (120 days prior to or 60 days after expiration). ALL classes are offered on Saturdays at the Jefferson Indoor Training Center in Metairie.
Our instructors, Range Officers, and Staff at The Jefferson Indoor Training Center are here to assist in every way possible in your goal of obtaining a Concealed Handgun Permit from the State of Louisiana. We offer the certified training and hands-on assistance necessary for a well-rounded understanding of firearms, firearms safety, concealed carry, and permit application preparation/submission.
BASIC HANDGUN SAFETY CLASSES
We have Basic Handgun Safety classes available for beginners and those looking to brush up on their skills. The classes are available by APPOINTMENT ONLY with limited Walk-In availability. Please call to schedule an appointment.
The class will consist of basic knowledge to help you understand the fundamentals of shooting sports. This will include basic information about safe gun handling and proper range etiquette.
Students will also have an opportunity to practice what they’ve learned at the end of the course with a live fire session on our range with their instructor.
The class is located at our Range location at 6719 Airline Hwy. in Metairie, LA.
CONCEALED CARRY WEAPONS PERMIT INITIAL CERTIFICATION CLASSES
The Concealed Carry/Basic Pistol Class consists of three parts: Basic Pistol Instruction, Concealed Carry Instruction, and Live-Fire Range Qualification. All three parts are completed in one nine-hour Saturday Course. Upon completion of class requirements, your instructor will issue an official Jefferson Indoor Training Center Certificate suitable for framing.
Group Classes are also available by appointment. Please see our contact us page to schedule your group class (between 5 and 15 students) with an instructor.
What to bring with you on class day:
- A copy of the Concealed Handgun Permit Application (completed and signed). This can be found online at LSP.ORG.
- Your handgun and a minimum of 36 rounds of ammunition. (Gun rentals and ammunition are available for purchase on class day) We HIGHLY recommend bringing additional ammunition (50 rounds minimum) to account for misfires, failures, etc. Malfunctions are not accounted for in a passing qualification.
- A Half Hour (30 minute) lunch break will be offered in the early afternoon. You may bring a lunch and eat-in or leave to eat lunch and return within the allotted 30 minutes.
- Many restaurant selections are available in the area within reasonable driving and walking distances.
CONCEALED CARRY WEAPONS PERMIT RENEWAL CLASSES
The Jefferson Indoor Training Center also offers a RENEWAL CLASS for current Louisiana Concealed Carry Permit Holders.
All students will be required to register upon arrival and will then be directed to the range for immediate qualification. When complete, they will assemble in the classroom for review training, paperwork completion and certificate issue.
Please bring your firearm along with a minimum of 36 rounds of ammunition for qualification and your Louisiana State Application for review. We HIGHLY recommend bringing additional ammunition (50 rounds minimum) to account for misfires, failures, etc. Malfunctions are not accounted for in a passing qualification.
LOUISIANA STATE CONTACT INFORMATION:
Louisiana Department of Public Safety & Corrections: 225-925-4867; LSP.ORG
TO RECEIVE A PERMIT FOR THE STATE OF LOUISIANA…
- ALL STUDENTS must me at least 21 years of age or older.
- ALL STUDENTS must be a US Citizen.
- ALL STUDENTS must be a resident of Louisiana.
- ALL STUDENTS must show a proficiency with a firearm.
- ALL STUDENTS must complete the application process to be filed with the state.
- ALL STUDENTS must complete the mandatory 9 hours of classroom training (outlined below).
- ALL STUDENTS must complete the qualification and achieve a passing score.
ALL STUDENTS MUST BRING THE FOLLOWING WITH THEM:
- Valid Louisiana Identification (Driver’s License or State issued ID Card). Digital Versions, such as “LA WALLET” IS NOT ACCEPTED.
- A Firearm to perform the required qualification (Rental firearms are available if needed). Please only bring ONE firearm… You will NOT be allowed to switch between firearms during the qualification evolution.
- Hearing and Eye Protection (Eyeglasses can be substituted).
- We highly recommend at least 50 Rounds of Ammunition for your firearm (If renting, ammunition will be included in the cost of the rental firearm).
- Proper attire: No open-toed shoes, No Low-Cut shirts (long sleeves are recommended), Long Pants, A Hat of some kind with a brim. Ejected Casings are HOT!
- A magazine loader if you can not efficiently load or struggle loading your magazines.
- A working knowledge of the pistol you are shooting (If renting, a brief will be given on the use of the firearm being used).
- Lunch, beverages and/or snacks (DO NOT BRING ALCOHOL!) and make sure you clean up your area prior to leaving the classroom. (There is a snack/beverage machine located in the lobby of the shooting range for our customers/students.) Also, do not bring snacks that will make excessive noise while opening, eating, etc. or may disrupt the class during the training.
ALL STUDENTS WILL RECEIVE THE FOLLOWING:
- A qualification target.
- A Digital Download of the course materials (Hard Copy Textbooks are available for purchase the day of the course).
- A Certificate following successful completion and qualification of the course.
- CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT (INITIAL) COURSE STUDENTS WILL BE PROVIDED A PEPPERONI/CHEESE PIZZA LUNCH.
This is a mandated nine (9) hour course by the state of Louisiana. Cell phone use will be limited. All attendees are required to be alert and pay attention to the curriculum. Period breaks will be provided.
JEFFERSON INDOOR RANGE IS A NON-SMOKING FACILITY. There are covered smoking areas outside of the building.
Act 4 of the First Extraordinary Session of the 1996 Legislature amended and re-enacted R.S. 40:1379.3 providing for the issuance of statewide concealed handgun permits by the Deputy Secretary of the Department of Public Safety & Corrections (DPS). Obtaining a CHP in Louisiana requires a 9 hour certification course which covers:
- One (1) hour of instruction on handgun nomenclature and safe handling procedures of a revolver and semi-automatic pistol;
- One (1) hour of instruction on ammunition knowledge and fundamentals of pistol shooting;
- Three (3) hours of instruction on the use of deadly force and conflict resolution which will include a review of R.S. 14:18 through 14:22 and which may include a review of any other laws relating to the use of deadly force;
- One (1) hour of instruction on handgun shooting positions;
- One (1) hour of instruction on child access prevention; and
- Two (2) hours of actual live range fire and proper handgun cleaning procedures
- Live range fire shall include 12 rounds each at 6 feet, 10 feet, and 15 feet for a total of 36 rounds;
- Each applicant or permittee must perform at least one safe reload of the handgun at each distance;
- Each applicant or permittee must score 100% hits within the silhouette portion of a NRA B-27 type silhouette target with a least 36 rounds
We also offer private and group training courses though a third-party instructor. If you are interested in booking a private group or individual training session/course, please contact Bayou Gunner directly by phone or email. CLICK HERE to view a listing of all additional courses available.